Boost Your Visibility: The Importance of Google My Business Optimization
GBP Series: Vol 3 (of 10)
Welcome to the third article in our blog series on effective Google My Business management! In this installment, I’ll walk you through the essential steps for setting up and optimizing your Google My Business profile. Following these guidelines will help ensure your business stands out, attracts more customers, and maximizes its online visibility.
In the previous articles I introduced and explained the importance of having a profile. In this article, we’ll focus on the following:
- Claiming and Verifying and Optimization of your listing
- The impact of a great business description and the the right categories on your local search ranking
- Leveraging Keywords in your posts
Let’s get started!
1. Claiming and Verifying Your Google My Business Listing
Creating and Claiming your business listing
To get started, the first crucial step is to claim and verify your business listing on Google My Business. This process is essential as it confirms your ownership and empowers you to manage your profile effectively. This can be done by searching for your business name on Google Maps or Google Search. If your business is already listed, you will see a link that says “Claim this business.” Click on this link and follow the instructions to claim your listing.
If your business is not listed on Google My Business, you can create a listing yourself. To do this, follow these steps:
Verifying Your Business Listing
Once you have claimed your business listing, you need to verify it. This process helps to ensure that you are the rightful owner of the business and that the information in your listing is accurate. There are a few different ways to verify your business listing, including:
- Phone verification: Google will send you a verification code via phone call or text message. Enter the code into the verification field on Google My Business to verify your listing.
- Email verification: Google will send you a verification code via email. Enter the code into the verification field on Google My Business to verify your listing.
- Postcard verification: Google will send you a postcard with a verification code. Once you receive the postcard, enter the code into the verification field on Google My Business to verify your listing.
2. Crafting a Compelling Business Description
Your business description is a key component of your Google My Business profile. It should concisely convey what sets your business apart and why customers should choose you. Craft a compelling business description that capture attention, showcases your value proposition, and entice customers to choose your business above the competition (Jasper AI).
Tips for Crafting a Compelling Google My Business Description
- Keep it concise: Limit your business description to 750 characters or less to ensure it is concise and impactful.
- Highlight unique benefits: Focus on what sets your business apart from competitors and emphasize the specific benefits customers can expect from choosing your services or products.
- Incorporate keywords: Include relevant keywords throughout your description to improve visibility and ensure your business appears in relevant searches.
- Proofread meticulously: Check for grammar and spelling errors to maintain a professional image and ensure your description is error-free.
Additional Tips for Writing a Compelling Business Description:
- Grab attention with a strong opening: Start your description with a captivating sentence that immediately captures the reader’s interest and encourages them to keep reading.
- Use clear and straightforward language: Avoid industry jargon and technical terms that may confuse your target audience. Opt for clear and easily understandable language instead.
- Be specific and showcase expertise: Instead of simply claiming to be the best, provide specific details and examples that highlight why your business excels in its industry.
- Leverage testimonials and reviews: Incorporate positive testimonials or reviews from satisfied customers to build credibility and demonstrate the value your business offers.
- Include a call to action: Encourage potential customers to take the next step by including a clear call to action, such as visiting your website, contacting your business, or engaging with your social media profiles.
3. Selecting Appropriate Google My Business Categories and Attributes
The categories and attributes you select for your Google My Business listing are important for how your business appears in search results. By selecting the right categories and attributes, you can ensure that your business appears for the right searches and reaches your target audience.
Benefits of Selecting the Right Categories and Attributes
By selecting the right categories and attributes for your business:
- Your business will appear for the right searches.
- Your business will reach your target audience.
- Your business will appear higher in search results.
- Your business will be more likely to be clicked on by potential customers.
Categories are broad descriptions of your business. When you select a category for your business, it will appear in search results when people search for businesses like yours. For example, if you select the category “Restaurant” for your business, it will appear in search results when people search for “restaurants near me.”
Google Business Profile Categories - Complete List
Attributes are more specific details about your business. When you select attributes for your business, they will appear in search results when people search for businesses with those specific details. For example, if you select the attribute “Wi-Fi” for your business, it will appear in search results when people search for “restaurants with Wi-Fi.”
How to Choose the Right Categories and Attributes
When choosing the right categories and attributes for your business, it is important to consider the following:
- The type of business you have.
- The products or services you offer.
- Your target audience.
- The keywords you want your business to rank for.
Once you have considered these factors, you can start to select the right categories and attributes for your business.
How to Find the Right Categories and Attributes
You can find the right categories and attributes for your business by using the complete list I provided or the Google My Business Help Center. The Help Center provides a list of all of the available categories and attributes, as well as descriptions of each one. You can also use the Google My Business Help Center to search for specific categories and attributes.
How to Add Categories and Attributes to Your Business Listing
To add categories and attributes to your business listing, you need to log in to your Google My Business account. Once you are logged in, click on the “Info” tab. Then, click on the “Categories” and “Attributes” sections. In these sections, you can select the categories and attributes that you want to add to your business listing.
Be notified when the next article's released
4. Enhancing Your Google Business Profile with High-Quality Visual Content
Visual content has a significant impact on engaging potential customers. According to research, visuals have been shown to increase engagement and retention, making them an essential tool for businesses to leave a lasting impression. With a well-optimized Google My Business profile, you have the opportunity to showcase your brand and offerings in a visually appealing and captivating way. (Canva is an amazing tool I use every day for most of our posts)
Posts are a great way to engage with potential customers and showcase your business on Google My Business. When used effectively, posts can help you:
- Increase engagement: Posts with images receive 38% more engagement than those without.
- Improve click-through rate: People are 70% more likely to click on a listing with posts than one without.
- Increase brand awareness: Posts will help you build brand awareness by helping people remember your business and what you do.
- Drive traffic to your website: When people see your posts, they want to learn more about your business and what you offer. This will lead them to visit your website or social media pages.
Types of Posts Google Is Looking For
Google is looking for posts that are:
- Informative: Posts should provide value to potential customers. This could include sharing tips, news, or information about your business.
- Engaging: Posts should be interesting and engaging. This could include asking questions, using humor, or telling stories.
- Timely: Posts should be relevant to what is happening in the world or in your industry.
- Local: Posts should be relevant to your local area. This could include sharing events, promotions, or news that is happening in your community.
When writing posts for your Google My Business profile, it is important to keep the following tips in mind:
- Be clear and concise: Posts should be short and to the point. People are more likely to read and engage with posts that are easy to understand.
- Use visuals: Posts with images or videos are more likely to be seen and engaged with.
- Use keywords: When writing your posts, be sure to use relevant keywords. This will help your posts show up in search results when people are looking for businesses like yours.
- Be consistent: Post regularly to keep your listing fresh and top of mind for potential customers.
Here are some examples of high-quality posts that you can create for your Google My Business profile:
- Tips: Share tips on how to use your products or services, or how to do something related to your industry.
- News: Share news about your business, your industry, or your community.
- Events: Share upcoming events that are happening at your business, in your industry, or in your community.
- Promotions: Share promotions or discounts that you are offering.
- Testimonials: Share testimonials from happy customers.
- Behind-the-scenes: Share behind-the-scenes photos or videos that give people a glimpse into your business.
- Holiday greetings: Share holiday greetings with your customers.
5. Leveraging Keywords for Improved Visibility
Why are keywords essential for your Google My Business profile? Keywords act as the bridge between what potential customers are searching for and the services or products you offer. By strategically incorporating relevant keywords, you increase your chances of appearing in search results when customers are actively seeking businesses like yours. This targeted visibility helps you attract more qualified leads and drive valuable traffic to your profile.
To optimize your Google My Business profile effectively, follow these steps:
- Conduct Thorough Keyword Research: Start by researching the most relevant and commonly used keywords in your industry. Consider the search terms potential customers are likely to use when looking for businesses like yours. Tools like Google Keyword Planner or other SEO tools can provide valuable insights into search volume, competition, and related keywords.
- Strategically Incorporate Keywords: Once you have identified a list of relevant keywords, strategically incorporate them into different sections of your Google My Business profile. Focus on the following areas:
- Business Name: If possible, include a relevant keyword naturally in your business name (but avoid keyword stuffing or violating Google’s guidelines).
- Business Description: Craft a concise and compelling description that not only showcases your unique selling points but also incorporates relevant keywords. However, ensure that the description reads naturally and provides true and valuable information to potential customers.
- Services and Products: Use keywords to optimize the names and descriptions of the services or products you offer. This helps Google understand the relevance of your offerings when matching search queries.
- Posts and Updates: Incorporate keywords organically in your posts and updates to increase their visibility in search results. Share valuable content that aligns with your keywords and provides useful information to potential customers.
- Monitor and Refine: Keep track of your keyword performance and make adjustments as needed. Regularly review your Google My Business insights to identify which keywords are driving the most engagement and adjust your strategy accordingly.
Optimizing your Google My Business profile is crucial to increase your online visibility and attract potential customers. Conducting thorough keyword research and strategically incorporating keywords in different sections of your profile, you can improve your chances of appearing in relevant search results. Regularly monitoring and refining your keyword strategy can further enhance your profile’s performance and help you stay ahead of the competition. Follow these steps or work with us to optimize your Google My Business profile and maximize your online presence.
Stay tuned for the next article in our series, where I’ll explore the importance of managing customer reviews and offer strategies to maintain a positive online reputation. Get ready to take your Google My Business profile to the next level!
Be notified when the next article is released
- GMB series: Vol 1 – GMB/GBP Introduction
- GMB series: Vol 2 – Google My Business Explained
- GMB series: Vol 4 – Managing Reviews and Ratings
- GMB series: Vol 5 – Unlocking the Power of Google My Business Messaging
- GMB series: Vol 6 – Leveraging Insights and Analytics (Coming 7/5)
- GMB series: Vol 7 – Promoting Your Brand (Coming 7/12)
- GMB series: Vol 8 – Integrating GMB Your Marketing Strategy (Coming 7/19)
- GMB series: Vol 9 – Best Practices for Effective Management (Coming 7/26)
- GMB series: Vol 10 – Unleashing Your Online Potential (Coming 8/2)
Ready to optimize your GMB listing and take advantage of these key Google My Business statistics? Use Matador Digi to write a killer description, add photos, and attract more leads!