FAQ: How to Rank in Google Search - Local 3-pack
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Google Local 3-pack and why should you care?
- How do you rank in the Local 3-pack?
- What factors influence local ranking?
- What is site authority and how does it impacts rankings?
- How can I outsource some of this work while ensuring the most relevant information is included for local SEO rankings?
- BONUS: Additional tips and resources to improve your local ranking
How to Rank in Google Search – Local 3-pack
If you’re like most business owners, you’re always looking for ways to get an edge on your competition. And if you’re looking to improve your local search ranking, you may be wondering how to rank in the Google Local 3-pack.
The Local 3-pack is the section of Google Maps that displays three local business listings for a given query. These listings are generally determined by a combination of factors, including proximity to the searcher, relevance to the search query, and overall authority.
I’ve received many questions about how to rank on the local 3-pack in recent weeks. It’s my goal to answer your questions and help you understand the “big picture” strategy.
Let’s get to the questions. .
QUESTION: What is the Google Local 3-pack and why should you care?
ANSWER: The Google Local 3-pack is a feature that appears on the search engine results page (SERP) when someone searches for local service, product or business. The 3-pack includes the three businesses that Google deems to be the most relevant to the searcher’s query and are determined based on a number of factors, including proximity/location, keyword relevance, and online reviews.
QUESTION: How do you rank in the Local 3-pack?
ANSWER: There are a few things you can do to improve your chances of appearing in the Google Local 3-pack.
- Optimize your Google Business Profile (Free Guide).
- Make sure your NAP (name, address, phone number) is consistent across the web
- Focus on building online reviews (Free ORM Report)
- Increase your website’s authority by adding fresh, relevant content and building links (Free writing tool)
- Stay active on social media and accurate on other directories. The more places your business information appears accurately online, the more likely it is to appear in the google Local 3-pack. (Free Design Tool)
QUESTION: What factors influence local ranking?
ANSWER: Years ago, the process of ranking a business on Google was much simpler. You could stuff your website with keywords, build a few backlinks, and voilà!—you would soon see your website near the top of the search results. But today, Google’s algorithm is much more sophisticated. The search engine takes into account dozens of factors when determining where to rank websites in the search results.
So, what factors influence local ranking? Let’s take a look.
- One of the most important factors is your “NAP”—name, address, and phone number. Google wants to be able to quickly and easily identify your business, and your NAP is one of the key ways that the search engine can do this. Make sure that your NAP is consistent across all platforms, including your website, social media profiles, and directory listings. (check all your rankings in one dashboard, FREE)
- Another important factor is online reviews. Google uses reviews as a way to gauge the quality of your business. In general, businesses with more positive reviews will rank higher than those with fewer or no reviews. It’s important to respond to online reviews quickly. Not only will this show your customers that you care about their opinions, but it will also help your SEO rankings. Google takes into account the speed at which you respond to reviews when determining your rank (Free ORM Report)
- Google also takes into account your website’s content when determining where to rank it in the search results. The content on your website should be relevant to your business and reflect the keywords that people are using to search for businesses like yours. If you can create high-quality content that meets these criteria, you’ll likely see an improvement in your local ranking. (Free writing tool)
QUESTION: What is site authority and how does it impacts rankings?
ANSWER: If you want your business to rank highly on Google (organically and in the local 3-pack), it’s important to understand the concept of site authority.
Site authority is a measure of how well your website is likely to fare in the search engine results pages (SERPs).
The higher your site’s authority, the better your chances of ranking highly for relevant keywords.
There are a number of factors that contribute to site authority, including the age of your domain, the quality of your content, and the number of high-quality backlinks pointing to your site. While it can be difficult to impact, one of the best things you can do is simply create high-quality content that engages and informs your target audience. If you can do that, Google will take notice and your site’s authority will naturally increase over time. And that, in turn, will help improve your local search rankings and generate new customers.
QUESTION: How can I outsource some of this work while ensuring the most relevant information is included for local SEO rankings?
This is a two part answer;
- Ensure you have relevant info
- Options for outsourcing.
ANSWER #1 – RELEVANT INFORMATION: When done right, outsourcing can be a great way to get the work done quickly and efficiently. And when it comes to local SEO, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind to make sure the most relevant information is included.
- First, consider what your potential customers are searching for. Make sure the keywords you’re targeting are ones that they’re actually using. (Search Console)
- Next, take a look at your competition. See what they’re doing right and emulate it. But also look for ways to stand out from the pack.
- Don’t underestimate the Q & A section on review sites like Yelp and Google. These are important places for potential customers to learn more about your business. So make sure the questions are relevant to your business and the answers are accurate and SEO optimized. (Q & A page)
- Create location pages with relevant keywords, that are ranking and ensure they link to your Google Business Profile.
ANSWER #2 – OPTIONS FOR OUTSOURCING: There are a few different ways that you can outsource lead generation work while ensuring that the most relevant information is included to optimize local SEO rankings.
- The first option is to use a lead generation company that specializes in local SEO. These companies will have a good understanding of what information is needed in order to rank well locally, and they will be able to include this information in your lead generation campaign. (Schedule some time with me)
- Another option is to hire a freelancer who is familiar with local SEO. This person can help you to ensure that your lead generation campaign includes the necessary information for good local rankings.
- Finally, you can use a combination of both of these options in order to get the best results.
Whichever method you choose, make sure that you communicate your needs clearly to the person or company that you are working with, so that they can provide you with the most relevant and effective leads.
BONUS: Additional tips to improve your local ranking
There’s no denying that ranking high on Google is essential for any business that wants to be successful. After all, Google is the most popular search engine in the world, and it receives billions of searches every day.
Here are a few more tips to help your ranking improve over time;
- Make sure your website is mobile-friendly (website audit)
- Use local keywords in your content (Google search tools)
- Optimize your website for local search (Free consultation)
- Build citations (Listing Builder Dashboard)
- Publish Consistent Local Content (Free Writing Tool)
- Monitor your online reputation (ORM)
- Keep an eye on your competition (Free Marketing Tool)
- Stay up to date on local SEO best practices (join my mailing list)
I hope this answers your questions about how to rank in the Google Local 3-pack. If you have any other questions or if you’re looking for help with your local SEO rankings contact me today. I’d be happy to discuss your needs and see how we can help.
If you’re not already paying attention to the Google Local 3-pack, now is the time to start. Optimizing your business for this feature can help you attract new customers and grow your business.
Marketing to Succeed
Spending too much money on marketing and not getting the results you want? It’s time for effective marketing.